Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Saying Goodbye

Our neighbor and good friend Matt died unexpectedly on Tuesday this past week. He was Sammy's buddy. Every time Sam saw his truck pull up he ran outside to say "HI BUDDY WHAT'CHA DOING BUDDY?" and Matt always answered back and smiled. Every time. It would have been easy for him to ignore Sammy, to blow him off, especially when it was the 10th time that day. Many times he would call me from the porch to let me know Sammy had gone outside and was now on the roof of the van, or eating rocks, or just doing something wonderfully weird. It was always coupled with " I don't want to get him in trouble Annie but I thought you should know." It is awesome having neighbors that look out for us.

The news came suddenly and it was harsh. There was no turning back,no time to prepare. Nothing but tears and pain and sadness. When I was told I remember the room spinning. I couldn't process the words, I didn't understand. He was so young, just early 20's. He leaves behind a son that is Nate's age. I can't imagine telling Nate he would never see his daddy again. My heart just breaks for that family. He really was a great dad!

He was Sammy's buddy. This is Sam's first real brush with death and it was harsh. To see my Sammy looking up with those sad blueberry eyes full of fear and confusion. He was sad though he did not cry. He keeps repeating to himself "my buddy...he died... he is in heaven,I'll see him again" I have caught him whispering it a few times to himself. He doesn't want to talk about it with me. He did not want to go to the funeral because he was afraid he wouldn't stop crying. His heart hurts and he is struggling to understand it. Nate gets it far better than Sammy. They both loved Matt and he was a great guy. They saw him as their friend,their Buddy. He is so missed.

So Matt rest well my friend until we meet again. Your Buddy misses you so much. We all do.