Thursday, February 9, 2012

Loosing Ground

Sammy's school called home, to be more exact, his principle called. He has been refusing to work at school, he has been refusing to work at home. He seems sad all the time. I have had a really hard time connecting with him like I normally do.

Sammy also threatened to kill himself at school. She said that since Christmas break he hasn't been himself.  He hasn't been able to connect on any level lately. The dog seems to be helping be more joyful at home and seems to be helping him connect to the dog, but not to anyone or anything else. I am at a loss. I don't really know how to help him.

The only thing I can think of is that the death of his "buddy" next door has really wounded him. I knew he was sad but I didn't know it was this bad. He is overwhelmed  with his school work.

He is good at math. He knows his math facts, he can do them pretty quickly. They just started 2 digit addition and he freaks out every time he sees the papers. They are now trying to give him one problem at a time on a white board thinking it may be a figure ground issue. I just hope we figure out something that works for him.

I miss happy Sammy. I miss his smile. Please Lord, help us find a way back to the sunshine.