Saturday, September 8, 2012

The Level of Pain

Dear Soccer Parent at the JV Soccer Game,

   I heard what you said. In fact everyone heard what you said. If I had not been so busy keeping my child from hurting himself I would have confronted you. Your ignorance infuriates and astounds me. While it shouldn't it also hurts my core, because I love my son more than life itself.

You have no idea what we have been through with Sammy. You can't possibly understand what he has overcome. I pray you never have a child like Sam, because you don't deserve the awesome that kids like him are.

Autism doesn't have a look. It doesn't have a telltale sign that says "HEY SOMETHING ISN'T NORMAL HERE."

 I am sure you're the perfect parent and you have never had a tough time with your child. I am sure your child never back talks or gives you a hard time. I am also certain that rainbows and unicorns fly out of my ears every morning when I wake... oh wait.

I know I will see you at the next game. I plan to sit right beside you. I plan on letting you know exactly how awesome my son is. I plan to make sure you know I heard you and that in no uncertain terms that if it happens again they will be removing me from the field.

I am not a violent person. I don't agree with physical aggression.

You can dislike me all you want. Feel free to talk about me behind my back. Feel free to say whatever you want about my clothes, hair, body, temperament, teeth, or parenting.

HOWEVER, let me be very clear.
TALKING ABOUT MY CHILD IS OFF LIMITS.
IF IT HAPPENS AGAIN I PROMISE YOU IT WILL NOT END WELL.