Tuesday, October 4, 2011

sibling sacrafice

 This post here ~~> What Autism Means to Me: Natalie Davis « Autism Speaks Official Blog:

'via Blog this'

How amazing it is to hear about this side of the story. I often worry about how the other children perceive Sammy and Tyler.

Tyler is best buddies with Sam. They have a deep link that I can't even begin to comprehend. I often find them engrossed in the same stim or Tyler leading Sammy into a calmer place before he melts down.The both of them enthralled with our stim pot and their reflection.












Nate started as the baby brother and is now almost of level ground with Sammy. As Nate changes every day and matures and figures things out Sammy often get's left behind. Sam will often bully Nathaniel , but lately Nate strikes back and reprimands Sammy. It's hard to watch the younger children passing him.













AJ and Sammy fight constantly. In fact even if AJ has nothing to do with whatever it is, Sammy finds him and takes it out on him. I have no idea what that is about. My best guess being that he feels really safe with AJ. AJ is the softest squishiest most lovable kid. AJ also has sensory processing issues and often kisses too hard, touches to fast and moves with some awkwardness. That translates into Sammy feeling as if he is under attack. Not a good way to feel and I am sure AJ often feels like he gets the raw end of the deal.







Grace and Sammy are a different story. Sammy is the baby whisperer and Grace adores him. She also adores Tyler.  The three connect on awesome levels. I am not sure if it is just because she is a baby or if I will someday in the not too distant future be told Grace is also an ASD child.







Who knows what our house will be like in 5 years. I don't know how many kids we will have by then if even any more. However many we do have, Sammy's autism doesn't just change him it changes us all in ways I never would have imagined