Saturday, March 23, 2013

18 and Life


My Darling Son,

You are now an "adult" in the eyes of the law, but to me you are still the pudgy little boy in flannel pajamas. You've never moved past that in my mind really. It eventually all flashes back to you cradled in my arms minutes after you were born.  So be gentle with me young man as you spread your wings. You see you are learning to fly and I am trying to learn how to let go.

I will have far less control over the choices you make from this point. Not because I cannot exert my will but because, I choose not to. You my boy have proven yourself to be a man of character and of that I am beyond proud.

Your faith is the core of everything you have been taught. I know your faith is important to you and I am so proud of the way you live it everyday. You stand behind your words with actions that any mother would be proud of.

There will never be a shortage of advice from me I am afraid. While I may be letting you fly, I am still your mother. That same mother that screamed at your wrestling matches, laughed at your punchline-less jokes, and taught you to smile for pictures so you didn't look like you were in pain. I am also the same mother that slept on a couch for a year so that you had a bed and would do it again in a heartbeat. Don't ever be afraid to come to me if you need it.

So many young men your age are faltering and failing because being a young man in the world today is hard. Being a man of faith and conviction in times like this is even harder.

Remember your faith, your love, and everything in between and that my door and my heart is always open for you.