Thursday, September 22, 2011

Hi, I want to introduce you to my mom

Today was Sammy's open house  and normally I hate them. Seriously It makes me feel like a caged animal. I always wonder if the teachers are all watching me thinking "ahhh that's why he is the way he is" totally my baggage I get it. still. I hate it. The minute I walk in I can almost hear the circus music playing in the back ground. I look around hoping no one is tossing a beach ball at me expecting me to balance it on my nose or something crazy. It's always the same stuff, see the place Sammy sits (near the teacher)  see all the work he does (with help) and meet the teacher. She seems pretty nice.but she isn't Mrs. Tynan!(last year's teacher who had that special something that made her super amazing) I warned her about Sammy's best friend make believe Max and it turns out she has already been warned. (yay for this school district so far) All in all he seems to be doing far better this year than last which to me is a surprise.  I spoke with Mrs. Gent (the special ed liaison) and got some great info on what he is doing, signed him up for a program at recess for social skills and spoke to the gym and music teacher about how Sam seems to be doing socially in those classes(since it is far less structured)

There was one huge highlight of the night. each person he brought me to he smiled and said "i want to introduce you to my mom" and then looked back at me smiled and said "mom  this is _______ my teacher" it was amazing.INCREDIBLE. I have never seen him do anything like this before in his life! He has a "best friend" as well now and when they saw each other the conversation was fluid.He even said "hey great to see you,I want you to meet my mom"

That may not seem like much for some. The parents of NT kids reading this may not understand the huge accomplishment this is. It's the equivalent of Sammy building a space ship and flying to the moon. I can only imagine he learned this at Social Skills group, but not only did he LEARN it he USED it! I am one very proud momma today.It almost made it worth it when he had a behavior before bed.

linking this for today!
I decided this week to jump along with Toddle Along Tuesday with Mama G at Growing up Geeky. The topic this week is “Something you love about your kid(s).”

3 comments:

  1. Anne, that's amazing! I am so happy for you, and so proud of Sammy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad the time at school turned out well and that he is making such big breakthroughs! I'm a teacher and I never think "that's why he/she is the way he is" (I know there's a lot involved!).

    New follower from TAT.
    http://shrinkingmommy.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awww how fantastic! You must be one proud Mommy :)

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from all of you.It reminds me that people really do read this thing.