Thursday, November 3, 2011

It's Just Me

We had a team meeting yesterday at Sammy's school. We had some concerns about the behavior plan being used in Sammy's classroom. After a very productive meeting I walked out feeling mixed emotions.

Before the meeting I was sick to my stomach, stressed and anxious. I wanted to put on my jammies and curl up on the couch. I wanted nothing to do with the meeting my husband had scheduled. I felt like I was going into battle. ( I wonder if this is how Sammy feels in the morning) This reaction to team meetings have nothing to do with the professionals at my sons school. It's my baggage and that is a long story stemming from issues with my x-husband and his family.

The meeting went well, we are all in fact on the same page and we are very lucky to have such a loving and caring team.I still am not sure how I feel about the teacher but I can see she likes Sammy. Sammy is beginning to read and really just doing well in school this year academically...I think.  I thought that last year and it turned out, he was doing great for Sammy just not great for a first grader.

His behavior at school has improved and the teacher assured me she is giving him plenty of leeway in the right places. He doesn't act even nearly as bad at school as he does at home. Not.Even.Close.

So I left there and all I can think is "It's me" It must be me, I must be doing something wrong to elicit this response from Sammy. I get all the anger, frustration and abuse. Meanwhile the school must either think I'm lying or crazy. They must think it's me that I am a bad mother. That I am a failure. It's my worst fears come true.

I am very careful to tell the truth even when it's not pretty , even when I know I didn't handle it well because I am not a liar. That I can control. I may be a failure, I may be doing it wrong. It may be me. I am living this life, no one else and I am the one doing battle each day. So when it comes down to it I have to live with myself everyday and I am doing the best that I can.